Growing Your own Mushrooms

More and more we are hearing to add mushrooms to your daily diet. There is a lot of confusion as to what mushrooms are, the ones to eat, when to eat them; and think about them is so good for us. The new word you are looking for is actually mycelium, and the people who study them are called mycologists.

First is the question, is a mushroom a organic? This is one of those questions that’s not easily answered. Remember they are a fungi, grown from mycelium, but they fall into the family of organic, with people who contemplate it a plant. A organic is considered “any edible part of a plant with a savory flavor” in the culinary world.

The interesting thing about mushrooms, in addition than many other “plants” is that they absorb and concentrate whatever they are grown in. It’s this that gives mushrooms their capability; but depending on where it is grown, that can work in reverse, and grow a bad thing. For example mushrooms can concentrate what is in the water that nourishes them. Good clean water, great; however, toxified, or infected with pesticides water, will be pulled into the mushroom just as.

Mushrooms provide an excellent example of one of the places to make sure to eat organic. Additionally reasonable to grow your own, that way you are able to control the water, but also the medium that the spores will grow in. Mushrooms start from a spore that is so small you cannot actually find it. Unlike a seed that you can wonder bar canna banana collect and sprinkle on your growing medium; the spore seems unseen. While a seed has chlorophyll present, and can germinate and begin the process of growth, a spore does not. Instead it needs to have an expanding medium that will nurture it and start its growth process.

Some of the options that serve as growing mediums for mushrooms include straw, wood chips, sawdust, wooden trays, cardboard, corncobs, or even composted manure. While you can purchase spores, it’s best if you get started with spawn instead. Once you are a seasoned frequent growing your own mushrooms, you may want to start with the spores. Spawn is the next stage from spore and it is when they have formed a root like, pure mycelium, that is the start of your mushroom. Technically the spawn alone could, under set conditions produce your mushrooms; however you want to add it to a growing medium for the best health of the plant, and for the produce you propose to eat.

You can get spawn humid, in dry flake, or dry stone form. Humid is just about to go, use it immediately; and the dry versions are made to be taken when you are ready, or the conditions are right.

While the water is important to the success of your healthy mushrooms, they don’t need a lot of water. In fact too much watering will kill it. Instead of “watering” as you would the seed in your garden, you want to focus more on mister, or spritzing. Some people even prefer to get it started with a piece of material over the spawn, and keeping that material moistened; again by mister, not by serving water over it.

Traditionally growing mushrooms inside is a faster process, however it can be done outdoors successfully too. Some folks prefer to manufacture a “mushroom house” similar to a chicken house, or a mini greenhouse. Mushrooms do best in a dark and cool, humid and humid environments; so a cellar is often an option. But make sure it is not in a draft, a primary brand of heat (or AC) when it kicks on, or direct sunlight. Most grow best at fifty-five to 60 degrees F, and some species like the Enoki do well with even lower temperatures, down to about 45 degrees F. Some people even prefer to grow their mushrooms in the kitchen, in the filing cabinet underneath the destroy. Depending on the temperatures, you really can grow mushrooms year round, and have a fresh supply for your cooking, salads and salsas.

Just a word of warning, do not collect wild mushrooms, or eat them, if you do not know how to clearly identify them. Wild mushrooms can make you sick, but they can also kill you. In fact the majority of fatalities that are reported from eating wild mushrooms come from those that have amatoxins. There is no cure or antidote for amatoxin; the best hope you have is to not delay at all, get right to a hospital and have them try to remove as much of the toxin from you as possible, before your body absorbs it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *